You know how Storymatic helps you create stories out of thin air? Rememory helps you access stories you already have— your memories.
- 230 cards to prompt memories, stories, and conversation. There are 25 Season cards that orient you to a time frame, 25 Generation cards that help you focus you on a person, and 180 Prompt cards that lead you into a memory.
- Includes suggestions for using by yourself, with friends, family, colleagues, and people you’d like to know better.
- Easy, fun creative tool for writers, classes, and homeschool– as well as an easy, fun non-competitive game.
- Excellent prompt for poetry, memoir, personal essay, and memory-based art.
- A nice gift for anyone who cares about the stories we all carry around inside us.
- Parents, teachers, and therapists: Rememory can help with sharing (and comparing!) family history, as well as helping with conversation and listening skills.
- Performers: Rememory is a great tool for developing characters and exploring backstory.
- Made in USA and ships from beautiful Vermont.
Ages 13 and up. It helps if you have enough years to reflect back a little ways. Younger than 13 is fine too, especially if you like hearing the older folks tell stories about their lives.
Rememory is deceptively simple.
Take a breath, draw three cards, and remember. Yes, it's really that straightforward. But of course, the country of memory is a complicated place! You can look at each card as you pick them, or look at them all at the same time. Each way feels a little different. The first way funnels you into a memory, and the second way lets memory sweep across you.
There are three kinds of cards:
Generation cards are slate-colored and orient you to whose life you're thinking about. Don't know much about the person? That's okay. Let yourself wonder. Give yourself permission to imagine.
Season cards are coffee-colored and orient you to seasons of life. "Spring" can mean April or May, but it can also mean youth, the springtime of life. Likewise, "Summer" can mean August, or it can mean the summer of your life. You will find other "seasons" as well. We spend years and years in these seasons.
Prompt cards are ruby-colored. By evoking a person and a season, the slate and coffee cards lead you to the door of memory. Ruby cards open the door.
It's okay if what you remember feels small. Small is big. Even small memories can illuminate the great themes of our lives.
Think of all the poems, paintings, and songs based on memories. Songwriter Helen Hummel and visual and installation artist Lisa Urban are two talented artists who work with Rememory to turn memories into art.
Songwriter and animator Helen Hummel used Rememory and Storymatic to jumpstart new songs and reimagine unfinished ones for her album Many Waters. Helen says that using prompts helps to "remove some pressure I put on myself as a writer and get me past the initial stages where I often get snagged."
Painter, teacher, and knitting-artist Lisa Urban used Rememory to write a memory a day, and then she turned these memories into beautiful and unique knitted sculptures.
She then put lights into each of the one-of-a-kind memories so they were "illumin-knitted" and hung them in a narrow space where you could not help but be confronted by them. Her written memories lined the walls for reference. She writes:
Think about the idea of writing your memories and then working with yarn to shape those words into three-dimensional, luminous forms that begin to have their own language and their own reality. Imagine what it's like to touch and hold your memories at the same time as you shape them, and to literally feel your joys and sorrows flow across your fingers. Lisa's project has a lot to say about how we shape and are shaped by memories.
Shipping for the entire United States, including territories, is only $5.
That means if you get one Storymatic, shipping is five bucks. If you get two Storymatics, it's five bucks. Get three or four: five bucks.
You're probably thinking, "But doesn't it cost more than five dollars, especially for people out west?" Yes, but we pay the difference.
Most orders ship USPS, but there are times when it makes more sense to use UPS. Please provide an address that can accept USPS and UPS. All orders come with tracking information.
We ship orders once a week. That means it might take a few days for USPS/UPS to receive the package, and a few more days after that for them to get it to your doorstep.
Updated September 22, 2022.
IMPORTANT: We will be traveling from September 23 through October 17, 2022 (so I can run an ultramarathon in Arizona). Shipping will not occur during that time.
Getting a gift? We'll wrap it for you! Get gift wrapping here. It's only $3.
We're also happy to include a personal gift message to the recipient at no charge. You can send your message one of two ways:
- Look at the bottom of your shopping cart for "Add Order Note"; click on that and leave your note in the space provided,
- Or leave your message on the contact page.
A few things to think about as you're making up your mind...
- Buy One Get One 10% off: Use code STORYMATIC at checkout
- Buy Two Get One 15% off: Use code SYNAPSIS at checkout
- Buy Three Get One 25% off: Use code REMEMORY at checkout
These savings are in addition to the already discounted shipping rates.
Codes can't be combined and are only good for orders placed through this website. Discounts are taken off the lowest priced item.
Buying for a school? Shopping for a company-wide gift? Ordering for the local bookstore? Go to the "By Quantity" section under the Shop menu to find out about ordering by the carton.