Ideal for early writers and readers, parents who need some fresh bedtime stories, and teachers who want to nurture creativity.
- 360 cards = gazillions of fun card combinations to prompt stories, characters, scenes, situations, and plots.
- Family-friendly content means children, tweens, teens, parents, and grandparents can play at the same time.
- Wild cards encourage you to tell stories in different ways and from different points of view.
- Make your own cards and mix ‘em into the deck! There are 20 blank cards waiting for your imagination.
- Accessible: Cards are thick with rounded edges– easy for small hands to hold. The language is approachable for early and experienced readers alike.
- Includes a booklet with lots of prompts, suggestions, and activities to help kids of all ages bring more stories into the world.
- Easy, fun creative tool for writers of all ages, for story time, classes, and homeschool– as well as an easy, fun storytelling game for family game night, improv, and travel.
- Parents, teachers, and therapists: Storymatic Kids can help with public speaking, listening skills, sequential thinking, as well as fostering imagination and empathy.
- Performers: Storymatic Kids is a great tool for improvising scenes, developing characters, and exploring backstory.
- Made in USA and ships from beautiful Vermont.
Ages 5 and up, up, up. If you’re looking for something that starts at around age 13, check out The Storymatic Classic.
The basics of Storymatic Kids are super easy.
Draw two gold cards and combine what they say to get a main character. Say you draw “pirate” and “person who must take care of an egg”; your character is a pirate who needs to take care of an egg.
Next, draw one or two blue cards and let the situations, objects, places, and complications lead you into a story. You can be as silly or serious as you want. Maybe you draw "lost”... well, there’s a story in those cards! Is the pirate lost? Did the pirate lose the egg? What kind of egg is it anyway? Why does the pirate need to take care of it? What’s the pirate’s name? Tell your story however you want. Write it, draw it, act it, sing it!
The instruction booklet that comes with each Storymatic Kids has lots of prompts, suggestions, but feel free to come up with your own ways to play!
For a good discussion about the booklet, skip down to the video from home-school mom ToriAnn Perkey. She has a nice How To that starts at 1:00, and she talks about the booklet at 2:45.
In another handy How To video, Advanced Academics Teacher Specialists Lawrence Paul and Stacey Morrissey show Storymatic Kids to Dr. Terry Alban, the superintendent of Maryland's Frederick County Public Schools. The How To part of their conversation starts 45 seconds into the video.
One of the nice things about Storymatic Kids is that you can use it however you want, and you can make up your own ways to play. Here are a few examples of ways people have made Storymatic Kids their own.
Molly's Way– Molly is a writer, teacher, and the founder of the youth theater group Brave New Shakespeare. When Molly is directing a play, she likes to scatter cards on the floor and have her young actors sort through them to find descriptions that fit with the characters they're playing.
Elevate Improv's Way– Elevate is a children's improv program that uses the art of improv to foster a judgement-free environment that promotes creativity, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration. They play Yes, And with Storymatic Kids. In Yes, And, each new part of a story begins with, "Yes, and..."
Christine's Way– Christine is an ESL Teacher who uses Storymatic Kids in her classes with pre-teens and teens because the language is accessible, the cards are bright, and the font is clean and crisp.
Cian's Way– When schools first started to switch to learning from home during the pandemic, 10-year-old Cian wanted to make some new friends by telling stories online. He made this video (with only a little bit of help from his mom) so he could "reach out to other kids while home from school & away from friends."
Shipping for the entire United States, including territories, is only $5. That means if you get one Storymatic, shipping is five bucks. If you get two Storymatics, it's five bucks. Get three or four: five bucks.
You're probably thinking, "But doesn't it cost more than five dollars, especially for people out west?" Yes, but we pay the difference.
Most orders ship USPS, but there are times when it makes more sense to use UPS, particularly for addresses in the west for more than one product. Please provide an address that can accept USPS and UPS. All orders come with tracking information.
We ship from Vermont and almost always get orders out within one or two business days. Often, orders ship the same day. Sometimes they ship within a few minutes.
We pack things really well, and sometimes you'll get a little prize with your order. A certain big online retailer doesn't do that. Just sayin'.
Our rates are more than 33% cheaper than regular USPS First Class rates. For context, here are examples for shipping one Storymatic Classic, give or take a few cents:
- $15 to Vancouver instead of $21.
- $17 to London instead of $25.
- $18.50 to Melbourne instead of $28.50.
We are trying as hard as we can to keep your shipping costs as low as possible.
International shipping gets complicated once things weigh more than four pounds. If you're trying to order more than one item and you get a shipping error in your cart, that's why. If that happens, call or send an email so we can discuss the most economical shipping method for you.
Please keep in mind that you may need to pay duty and taxes when you receive your order. These are your responsibility. They are not included in the price of shipping.
This information is for standard retail orders and not for bulk or wholesale.
Updated March 2, 2022.
Getting a gift? We'll wrap it for you! Get gift wrapping here. It's only $3.
We're also happy to include a personal gift message to the recipient at no charge. You can send your message one of two ways:
- Look at the bottom of your shopping cart for "Add Order Note"; click on that and leave your note in the space provided,
- Or leave your message on the contact page.
A few things to think about as you're making up your mind...
- Buy One Get One 10% off: Use code STORYMATIC at checkout
- Buy Two Get One 15% off: Use code SYNAPSIS at checkout
- Buy Three Get One 25% off: Use code REMEMORY at checkout
These savings are in addition to the already discounted shipping rates.
Codes can't be combined and are only good for orders placed through this website. Discounts are taken off the lowest priced item.
Buying for a school? Shopping for a company-wide gift? Ordering for the local bookstore? Go to the "By Quantity" section under the Shop menu to find out about ordering by the carton.